Wow, what a crazy ride 2017 has been! As we close out the year, it seems like a good time to take a look back at what we’ve accomplished this year, and what we can look forward to in 2018.
This year presented a TON of “firsts” for Crowfall®, including:
- The launch of our “Big World” milestone, where we stood up a persistent game server for the first time
- The addition of the Disciplines system, with more than 100 major, minor and weapon specializations
- Dynamic, real-time placement of parcels and buildings in Eternal Kingdoms; pick up and move a mountain range to terraform your world, without a relog or a reboot
- A functional Castle Building system that lets you customize your stronghold with snap-together walls and towers
- Moving past “archetypes” to allow players to choose from 12 Races and 11 Classes (with the overwhelming majority of those now being in the game and playable!)
- An overhaul of the Skills Training system
- An overhaul of (and upgrade to) our graphics engine
- An overhaul of the website
- And, on the operational side, a boatload of stuff that isn’t quite so “sexy” (and never gets much attention) but has to be done for launch: cloud support in both US, Australia and EU; the ability to import pledge package rewards into game; and launching a second testing ecosystem (“LIVE” and “TEST”).
And, on top of all of this, it looks like we’ll end the year with about $4m in pledges from 35k+ backers, and 230k registered Crows!
As exciting as 2017 has been, 2018 is going to blow it out of the water. We’ve got some hugely impactful milestones in front of us: alpha, beta, soft launch and – once the game is polished enough – our world-wide commercial release.
We’ve said from the beginning that crowdfunding was just one part of our plan to build this game and company. We have a history of building these games, so we know what it takes to bring them to market successfully. We knew that our funding would be a mix of crowdfunding, licenses and investment - the only question was, “How much of each?”
Thanks to our progress and momentum, we’ve generated significant interest in our company – and we’ve been very successful in channeling that interest into investment money. After a lot of discussion over the summer, we decided to do a larger raise to expand our game content, cover all launch expenses and to have enough funds to drive a respectable marketing campaign at launch.
We believe this is the right approach, so we pitched it to our investors. They agreed. We are delighted to announce that on December 1st, we closed another financing round for an additional $6 million. This money will be used to fund the completion, launch and marketing of Crowfall.
This means we’ll be hiring a few more people, we’ll be able to invest more in our live infrastructure and support more players; and we’ll be able to get some real attention once the game is ready.
And, of course, it means that we’ll have the time to get there!
As always, it bears repeating that we wouldn’t be here without you, our backers. While the crowdfunding is great, the momentum is even better because it shows continued faith in our team and our vision and it proves there is an audience for what we are building.
We are truly grateful that you have joined us on this crazy adventure. Thank you for a great 2017 and for sticking with us for an even better 2018.
Onward and upward!
J. Todd Coleman and Gordon Walton
Co-Founders, ArtCraft Entertainment