Frequently asked questions
- What is the current phase of testing?
- Who has access to playtests now?
- Do I need to consume my pledge package to activate the testing reward?
- Why are the test group names so confusing?
- When will Beta begin?
- I signed up for Beta. What happens now?
- What test group am I in?
- How can I upgrade to a higher testing group?
- I upgraded to a higher testing group. How long does it take for my playtest access to go into effect?
- Where can I download the game?
What is the current phase of testing?
As of May 2017, we are in Pre-Alpha 5.
Who has access to playtests now?
As of December 2017, backers whose pledge packages contain one of these test rewards: Pre-Alpha 1 & 2, Alpha 1, 2 & 3 , Beta 1, 2 & 3. Please note, however, that we have two separate environments, and this only applies to the LIVE environment. The TEST environment will frequently only allow restricted tiers as we roll out new patches.
Do I need to consume my pledge package to activate the testing reward?
No, you do not need to consume your pledge package to activate the testing reward. In fact, we recommend that only consume the pledge package if you wish to gift an item to another account or when the game launches.
Note that you can only gift an entire package to another player when it is unconsumed. As always, any issues or problems you have with rewards should be emailed to email@example.com
Why are the test group names so confusing?
Pre-Alpha means we are testing elements of the game, while an alpha would be most of the game systems being tested together. Beta would be a near-complete version of the game (in systems and content).
The testing phases offered with various pledge packages guarantee you’ll get access to that level of test and beyond. We have invited people to tests earlier than their test access level from the beginning of the testing process to give us more critical mass of players in those tests and because we want backer feedback throughout development.
As of May 2017, we have completed Pre-Alpha 1 through 4 and are now kicking off Pre-Alpha 5. We’ll have more testing phases in the future, including Alphas 1 through 3 (or more) and later Betas 1 through 9 (at least).
This can be confusing mostly because backers are rarely asked to test this early in the process. Many test groups have been invited to test well before the testing phase they were registered to join.
When will Beta begin?
We don’t have a definite date yet, but we are on track for beta testing to begin later this year.
I signed up for Beta. What happens now?
After you’ve signed up for the free beta, you can watch our site and social media channels for updates so you’ll know when your group is being added to the playtest.
What test group am I in?
To view your test group and any other pledge rewards you may have:
- Log into your crowfall.com account.
- Mouse over your username in the top right corner and select “Account” from the menu.
- Click on Backer Rewards from the menu on the left.
How can I upgrade to a higher testing group?
There are a few ways you might upgrade to a higher testing group:
- Upgrade your pledge tier
- Purchase a “mini-bundle”
- The total sum of your Crowfall Store purchases may bump you into a higher test group
I upgraded to a higher testing group. How long does it take for my playtest access to go into effect?
When you upgrade your account, the test group and any pledge rewards will be added automatically; however, playtest access is given in one of two ways:
- We run a tool once or twice a week that looks for test group levels and then automatically adds the corresponding playtest access (if any).
- If you purchase or upgrade a pledge package in between the times we run the tool, we can set up your access manually. Just shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get you fixed up. Current testers are also sent a weekly email with the playtest schedule and any other relevant information.
Where can I download the game?